Sunday, May 15, 2011

"Odds & Ends" Soup - Peameal Bacon, Potato & Bean {Recipe}

Due to the sickies in our household this week, I didn't get around to meal planning or much cooking in general. We did have a LOT of leftovers from last Sunday's brunch, so we enjoyed some good breakfasts as well as a "breakfast for dinner" meal. (Nothing wrong with eggs past 6 PM, folks!) By Thursday I felt almost back to my normal self so I wanted to cook, however rather than making a quick sprint to the grocery store I decided to get a li'l creative and pretend I was on Chopped. So tell me - what would YOU do with leftover peameal bacon, lima beans, parmesan cheese and a couple potatoes? Well, I ended up making this:


I wasn't sure how it would work out as I prepared it, but it ended up tasting amazing! Rich & hearty, with a meaty taste from the peameal and aromatic flavour from the herbs & spices. As he gulped down his second bowl, Chris said it was the perfect dish to help him recover. ("Apparently not," he just said from beside me on the couch. Poor guy is still sick. :( So no, unfortunately it's not the miracle cure, but it IS tasty!)

Ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 potatoes, cut into small cubes
  • 1 large can (28 fl oz) diced tomatoes
  • 1 can (19 oz) white beans
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup frozen lima beans
  • 1/2 cup macaroni noodles(more if you like "noodley" soups)
  • 3 slices of leftover peameal bacon, diced
  • 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
  • "Some" thyme, oregano, paprika, pepper (I don't really measure - maybe 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp of each?)
  • Salt to taste
Steps:
  1. Boil potatoes until almost cooked
  2. In a large saucepan on medium heat, sauté onions for 3-4 minutes in olive oil
  3. Add bacon and garlic and a little of chicken broth. Saute for another 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
  4. Add canned tomatoes, potatoes (drained), remaining chicken broth, lima beans, herbs & spices. Simmer on low for 10-15 minutes, stirring regularly.
  5. Add macaroni. Simmer for another 8-10 minutes (or until al dente).
  6. Add white beans and most of the parmesan cheese. Stir and simmer for a couple more minutes.
  7. Serve with a sprinkle of the remaining parmesan on top. So easy and so yum!!
The next time I make this, I might forego the lima beans and possibly the macaroni noodles and add another potato. I would guess it would also work quite well with other types of meat - "regular" bacon, or perhaps diced corned beef, cottage roll or some smoked sausage. The key is to dice whatever it is quite fine so it basically becomes part of the broth.

Wow. I'm impressed that DD actually napped long enough to let me write this post! Perhaps I even have time for some giveaways now. :D

0 comments:

Post a Comment